Cathay HK IWSC 2023 Judges Successfully Concluded Judging
The 2023 Cathy Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition (HK IWSC) launched its highly anticipated judging week from 19th to 22nd September in The Arca. This prestigious event brought together a remarkable assembly of 66 industry judges, each possessing extensive expertise and qualifications. The judges' collective knowledge and discerning palates ensured a rigorous evaluation process, guaranteeing that only the finest drinks would receive recognition in the competition.
In a remarkable display of expertise, the HK IWSC has expanded its panel of judges this year to encompass a diverse range of specialists in their respective fields. The panel includes esteemed professionals such as Masters of Wine, Master Sommeliers, experienced sommeliers, renowned importers, wine and spirit critics, accomplished journalists, and knowledgeable educators. With the guidance on wine judging by VIP International Judge Craig Stansborough, Group Premium Winemaker of Accolade Wines, the judges meticulously assessed nearly 100 categories of wines, spirits, beer, and sake. To maintain the highest standards of result quality and consistency, all submissions were presented in a "double-blind" format, ensuring impartiality and objectivity in the evaluation process.
After review by KPMG, the 2023 HK IWSC results are ready for global announcement on 3 November via the competition's website hkiwsc.com and SPIT Journal. In Hong Kong, trophy winners will be awarded on stage at the 2023 HK IWSC Award Presentation Ceremony, held in conjunction with Hong Kong Wine and Spirits Fair (HKIWSF) by HKTDC. Since 2008, HKIWSF has been an incomparable wine and spirits platform for Asian professionals. The fair is set to return to the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre on 3-5 November. Media are welcome to attend the ceremony at 3:30pm on 3 November, in The Wine Gallery, HKIWSF, Hall 3C, HKCEC (1 Harbour Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong).
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn