Light Bottle Still Wine Trophy
The Light Bottle Still Wine Trophy is a sustainability award that acknowledges exceptional accomplishments in the production of still wine using lightweight packaging. The primary goal of this trophy is to promote and incentivise the use of environmentally sustainable packaging solutions that minimise carbon footprint in transportation.
The award is open to all producers of still wine, ranging from small boutique wineries to large-scale commercial operations. The criterias for winning will be using bottles or packaging that are light in weight and recyclable, without sacrificing wine quality.
Eligibility of Entry
Still wine (white, red, rosé and amber wines)
Packaged with glass bottle or other recyclable packaging
Obtained a score 90 points or above during judging
Samples will be weighed on arrival
Judges will blind taste wines to give scores
Wines with scores of 90pts+ will be shortlisted and weighed again
The lightest bottle will receive the trophy
Light Bottle Still Wine (750ml) Trophy (1 winner)
Light Bottle Still Wine (Other Volume) Trophy (1 winner)
How to enter?
We welcome all still wine producers to enter the competition. Wines bottled with glass will be automatically entered into the category. Alternative biodegradable packagings may also be accepted.
What types of packaging are allowed?
Glass bottle enclosed by cork or screw cap; recyclable material such as aluminium, paper box, etc.
Can I join with a half bottle, magnum or bottle of any volume other than 750ml?
Products with more or less than 750ml can enter the Light Bottle Still Wine (Other Volume) Trophy.
What's the Fee?
Free of charge in 2023
Why are sparkling wines and other alcoholic beverages not accepted?
Sparkling wine bottles are usually heavier because of the challenge of bottling and transportation. It is therefore unfair to compare their bottle weight with still wines; spirits and other beverages will be included in 2024 HK IWSC Light Bottle Award.
By recognising and celebrating the producers who are leading the way in sustainability and innovation, the Light Bottle Still Wine Trophy highlights the importance of these values in the wine industry.
Join HK IWSC to achieve the recognition!
There are several reasons why it's crucial to encourage wineries to produce still wine using lightweight packaging:
- Environmental sustainability:
By utilising lightweight glass bottles, the wine industry can significantly reduce the amount of energy needed for manufacturing, transportation, and disposal of wine bottles. This, in turn, helps to decrease the carbon footprint of the wine industry, promoting a more sustainable and eco-friendly approach to wine production.
- Cost savings:
Opting for lightweight glass bottles can lead to reduced production, transportation, and storage costs for wineries and consumers compared to traditional, heavier glass bottles, resulting in significant cost savings.
Encouraging the use of lightweight glass bottle packaging can spur innovation in the wine industry, leading to new and improved packaging solutions that are even more sustainable and cost-effective.
- Consumer demand:
Consumers are increasingly concerned about the environmental impact of the products they purchase, including wine. By producing wine with lightweight glass bottle packaging, wineries can meet this demand and appeal to environmentally conscious consumers.
Overall, encouraging wineries to produce still wine with lightweight packaging is an important step towards a more sustainable and innovative wine industry that meets the needs and preferences of today's consumers.
- “Winning a silver medal in the HKIWSC has truly helped my product to achieve international credibility regarding its taste. This has positively affected
decisionmaking of several new merchants who now carry my product.”Kaustav BagchiOwner, Lamai Thai Spirits
- “Louis Royer Cognac has been entering the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition for many years. This competition is regarded as the most respected in Asian countries. Winning an award is a high honour for our brand and a further seal of quality for our multi-award winning Cognac.”Carol FrugierMarketing and Communications Manager, Louis Royer Cognac
- “Adding to our success over the past few years at the HKIWSC, winning a trophy means so much to us as we have just recently entered the Chinese market with our brandies. The Chinese market is unique, which makes it even more exciting to know that Oude Molen VOV Brandy is well accepted.”Kobus GelderblomBrandy Master, Oude Molen Distillery
- “It is a great honour for us to receive this award and we are very thankful about the reputation from wine enthusiasts in China. This award is a testament to the fact that our white wines not only match the traditional Austrian food but also matches perfectly with the Asian cuisine.”Katja PflogschWinemaker, Domäne Wachau
- “Having won three trophies in the last four years in different food & wine matching categories at HKIWSC has showcased Pegeric Pinot Noir and its suitability with Asian cuisines leading to its listing with one of Australia’s top restaurant – Melbourne’s iconic Flower Drum.”Chris CormackCEO, Pegeric Wines
- “To get recognition from such a prestigious panel is
veyrewarding indeed, and proves that our wines are made in a style that is truly food friendly. The HKIWSC has become one of the year’s most well-respected wine competitions globally. For us, the food match component is a fantastic chance to demonstrate how well our wines compliment so many different flavours. Moreover, it is a competition known and valued by our customers so a trophy can be hugely influential.””Susanna MayerWinemaker, Yealings
- “Awards and medals at the HKIWSC have been like a stamp of approval to the quality of our wines. Because it is an Asian-focused competition, I know that my wines are being judged and measured by the same yardstick as all the other wines, given our viticultural conditions are quite unique compared with the rest of the world. These medals give me and, more importantly, my consumers the confidence that my wines stand apart from the competition.”Kalash GurnaniWinemaker, York Winery
- “We are very proud of our results. One of our key focuses is the Asian market, so we really want to make our wines special and desirable for this market. That’s why we want to enter this competition and be evaluated by the expert judging panel.”Sofia Cajewski Winemaker, Cremaschi Furlotti
- “We at Yealands Estate Wines are proud to be
recognizedby the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. The organizationis held in the highest regard and our success in the competitions has become a strong voice for our quality around the globe.”Avram DeitchGlobal Marketing Manager, Yealands Wine Group
- “Winning awards in reputable international wine shows such as the Cathay Pacific HKIWSC is one of the many ways of educating our consumers and giving them confidence in purchasing the Saint Clair brand. This enhances brand perception
increases sales across our entire portfolio of wines.”Maria EastonWinemaker, Saint Clair Family Estate anin turn